Monday, September 20, 2010

I'm a horror fan. And I'm a chick.

We may be few and far between, but we're out there, and we're a force to be reckoned with. Gone are the "Boys Club" days of horror cons, horror art and horror film-making. And from what I'm understanding, the boys are quite all right with this idea of women infiltrating their ranks, which is a good thing. Guys aren't always so welcoming when it comes to such things (you know it's true, boys). :-)

I myself am a horror artist. I don't ONLY make horror art, but it comprises most of my portfolio, so I consider myself as such. I've gained quite the little following and hope to gain more fans as I begin making con appearances starting in 2011. I've designed zombie portraits for the Fright Rags crew and other friends, showed some stuff around Rochester, had a GREAT show with my friend Brad Daruszka at Dub Land Underground in May-June of 2010, and ithat's just the beginning of my adventure. I feel like I'm making my mark--finally. I have officially become a Woman of Horror.

I hope to meet some of you out there in the world, at cons, or at events in the Roc (like TEDxRochester in November of 2010, which my husband Tony co-organizes). I want to thank my good friends at Fright Rags, Ben Scrivens, Kristy Jett and Tim Kilmer, for all the opportunities they've bestowed upon me. I want to profusely thank my husband, who has always encouraged me to keep drawing and painting even when I felt I'd lost my edge. Also, I'd like to thank all the people I've met as a result of Fright Rags events: John Squires of Freddy in Space, Bill Adcock of Radiation Scarred Reviews, Zach Shildwachter of Z for Zombies, Sean of VHSPS, Jordan Garren of B Movie Film Vault, Terry Callen of Screaming Brain Studio, Chris Tanski, Jason Edmiston, Greg Doolittle, and about a bazillion other folks as well (sorry, it's 6 am and I've been up since 3...but know this: I love you even if your name's not listed here). Thank you all for your welcoming hugs, comments, assistance, and positive energy. I'm happy I'm starting out on my journey with you guys behind me, helping me along.

1 comment:

Zach S. said...

thanks for the shout out! You are more than just a fan, you are an ambassador for the genre. You're talent is inspiring and your friendship appreciated.